Hello everyone! Today’s my stop on the blog tour of The Edge of Anything by Nora Shalaway Carpenter. The tour is being hosted by the Fantastic Flying Book Club and I’m so glad to have the chance to share my thoughts on this beautiful book with you guys 💙
Book : The Edge of Anything by Nora Shalaway Carpenter
Publisher: Running Press Teen
Release Date: 24th March, 2020
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction, Mental Health
Personal Rating : 5/5 stars
Len is a loner teen photographer haunted by a past that’s stagnated her work and left her terrified she’s losing her mind. Sage is a high school volleyball stardesperate to find a way around her sudden medical disqualification. Both girls need college scholarships. After a chance encounter, the two develop an unlikely friendship that enables them to begin facing their inner demons. But both Len and Sage are keeping secrets that, left hidden, could cost them everything, maybe even their lives.
Set in the North Carolina mountains, this dynamic #ownvoices novel explores grief,mental health, and the transformative power of friendship.
• In Nora Shalaway’s debut novel, The Edge Of Anything, two teenagers – Len and Sage, battle with the world and themselves when they face devastating events in their lives.I started reading this book on a day I was feeling really low ~ with the hope that by the end, I’ll feel better. AND BAM! BOY DID I FEEL BETTER. The book surpassed all of my expectations! It was a beautiful story about courage and the power of friendship. 💙
• The author did an amazing job of showing the struggles that teenagers face in order to meet the demands of the people around them – their parents, teachers and friends. The young generation is constantly under the pressure of being perfect, so that they can build a satisfying future for the rest of their lives. We see Len and Sage being tangled in that same chain of life and how their mental health gets affected along the way.
• I loved how Len and Sage supported each other selflessly. They leaned on each other to heal their broken pieces. Sometimes strangers can break open our shells of sadness rather than those who have known us for our entire lives, and Len and Sage’s friendship portrayed this aspect perfectly. From now onwards, if anyone asks me about friendship stories, I’ll definitely recommend The Edge of Anything to them!
• The mental health representation in this book was spot on. Teenagers often face many challenges mentally in order to adapt to different situations, without understanding that they might even need help. The storyline reflected this case so thoughtfully. The way Len and Sage dealth with each other’s needs and navigated the other to proper mental health was my favorite part of the book.
• The book was filled with many life lessons. It taught me that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes the tunnel might be really long for us to see the light in a short time. So, we need to be patient and find the courage to fight the uncertainities that life throws at us at all angles.Overall, The Edge of Anything was a really wonderful read! I can’t recommend this book enough. 💙
Nora Shalaway Carpenter holds an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Before she wrote books, she served asassociate editor of Wonderful West Virginia magazine and has been a Certified Yoga Teacher since 2012. Originally from rural West Virginia, she currently lives in Asheville, North Carolina with her husband, three young children, and one not-so-young dog.
Learn more at http://www.noracarpenterwrites.comor follow her on Instagram @noracarpenterwrites and Twitter @norawritesbooks.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/norawritesbooksInstagram:https://www.instagram.com/noracarpenterwrites/You can find the entire tour schedule of The Edge of Anything here :https://fantasticflyingbookclub.blogspot.com/2020/02/tour-schedule-edge-of-anything-by-nora.html
Prize: Win a hardcopy of THE EDGE OF ANYTHING by Nora Shalaway Carpenter, a character artpostcard by kelsey Lecky of K. A. K. Lecky illustration, a bookmark and a pop-open card from Thoughtfulls (US Only)
Starts: 24th March 2020
Ends: 7th April 2020
Enter the giveaway here : https://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/d9681b86479/